Today, Colin criticized me on my choice of Twitter photo hosting solution as it included very intrusive ads next to them (plixi).

He told me that he personally blogs vs. Twitpic, capturing the long-tail on the content with Google. It was really something to think about as he was getting thousands of views on an old piece he did.

I didn’t want to blog as that would dilute the high value of this feed (please know I am mocking myself).

Anycase, after a quick Google, found a nice plugin by @michaeltyson. Recently, been using it and results are not bad. The bad side is Twitter clients don’t work with just anyone for previews. They really need to adopt OpenGraph like facebook.

What do you think I should do? Own my own Twitter photos or host them on Twitpic, Plixi or yfrog?

31 Responses to Owning My TwitPic

1. djsteen says:

I'm more likely to look at a photo if it's viewable within TweetDeck (the app I consume Twitter in most of the time).

Photos hosted on Twitpic, Flickr, yfrog, plixi, and even Instagram all appear as an overlay within TweetDeck, so I never have to go to my app — unless I want to fave/comment/download.

Also, why doesn't anyone think of Flickr as a competitor in the mobile photo arena? I don't think I've ever seen them have any downtime (that has effected me), and they have short URLs for Twitter.

Personally, I would cross-post to at least two different services. If one (including your own server) goes down for some crazy reason, then at least you have a backup. 🙂

• sandieman says:

Good point Derek!!

I really wish Tweetdeck and others would adopt OpenGraph API (it's the metadata that brings in the thumbnail on Facebook).

I am hosting with Page.ly, they would never lose my content 😛

2. Rich says:

Personally, I don't post too many pictures on Twitter. However, plugins are another story. Currently, one of our sites uses a self-hosted WordPress installation. One of the plugins we are trying to use is Colin's. We wish him luck on getting the update testing completed and it published shortly (after all it is the Viddler plugin).

Back to your, picture posting adventure… When first beginning to use Twitter, TwitPic was the service of choice. I see nothing wrong with it now. Although, I would agree that the inserted (no pun intended) ad some might consider inappropriate.

3. T-Rave says:

Hadn't even considered this before. Usually just upload the picture and never think twice about it. I personally like twitpic since I have been using them almost since day 1.
    Good post, something to defiantly think about.
    I do like what Derek pointed out about viewing them in tweetdeck. That's the world I live in

4. If you need to know the best ways to post ads on craigslist, it could be a genuine pain in the butt. There are genuine means to do things appropriately. Plus, there are guaranteed methods to refrain points on Craigs List. Yake a look at exactly what I has found out. i assume it could be able to assist you understand the ins and out of ways to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh3vRS65DUo post an ad on Craigslist

5. Individually, I don't article too many images on Flickr. Nevertheless, plug-ins are another narrative. At present, our web sites relies on a personal-managed Wp installing. One of many plugins we are attempting to use is Colin's. We desire him luck on getting the up-date evaluating finished and it also printed quickly (all things considered it is the Viddler wordpress plugin).

6. ace diet says:

I didn’t want to blog as that would dilute the high value of this feed – its has an amazing value!

7. click it says:

Your article has truly peaked my interest. I'm going to bookmark your website and

8. shop here says:

I blog frequently and I truly thank you for your content.

9. Consumerization of business is by far my favorite new tagline. It’s also known as “Consumerization of Enterprise” but screw that, it’s bigger then that. It’s all business.

10. A lot of people hear all concerning the dynamic means you produce sensible guides by means of this blog and as well invigorate participation from some others on that subject then our child is actually learning a whole lot.

11. At our recent holiday party, Bryan (an awesome Viddler support wizard) caught some footage of Billy freestyling:

12. ?????? says:

???????????????????????
    ???????
    ??????
    ???????
    ?????
    ??????
    ???????
    ???????????????????????????????????
    ???????????????????????????????????????
    ????CHANEL?????????????? 34cm????????35899?????????????

13. A lot more singles right now are hoping to find millionaire singles using stable fiscal status and who will be well-educated. That's wherever we appear in that may help you find the top rich adult men dating site in your case.

14. The online dating services manage to target virtually any niche as well as market under the rainbow. Whatever yourwants, wants, as well as desires, there is certain becoming a relevant online dating site to sign up in your energy to identify a partner. Through an estimate 9 million online dating services available on-line.

15. jackclark2266 says:

Many thanks for the exciting blog posting! Simply put your blog post to my favorite blog list and will look forward for additional updates. Simply wanted to write down a word in order to say thanks to you for those wonderful tips.
    Snapdeal coupons codes

16. Dominoscoupon says:

Really your blog is very beautiful. I like the way your describe your post. Thanks for sharing such a great post. Dominos Coupons Codes

17. godaddypromoocodes says:

I love this post it very nice and integrating post.I really enjoy to reading this article thanks for sharing this article.
    Dawgs coupon codes

18. somee says:

This article is simply phenomenal! It's got all the great components of an incredible article and I am truly simply content to peruse this. A commendable article to peruse! Not an exercise in futility whatsoever
    clickergame.org

19. jackclark2266 says:

best fish oil supplement
    To say the truth I am very impressed by what you told. You share tons of interesting info, neat and excellent design you’ve got here. It’s certainly one of the most informative stuff on this topic I’ve ever read.

20. Really Your blog is very interesting, i am also suggest to my friends to read your post.

21. jackclark2266 says:

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this!
    maschera per capelli ricci

22. jackclark2266 says:

gum disease and pregnancy
    gum disease and pregnancy
    That's what makes you the best. You should keep publishing more articles and you will Such Become One of the best writers ever

23. kamboj says:

I'm sorry to hear this Rob,
    I also want to tell you that recently my videos (personal account) got deleted without notice, its just clear to me that viddler is not the same again

They just become very commercial

24. jasa seo says:

tx you so much brother…

25. jennifergennie says:

You might have bought your entire cleaning products and products, told everyone you understand which you have started any cleaning business now you you will need to start highest taker on careers and getting as a result of work. Which means that your next step is always to meet with clients and assembled a bid for cleaning companies.cleaning companies abu dhabi

26. bugscontrol says:

Virtually all home fires happen within winter a long time than each and every year or so, when typically the cozy warmth from a fireplace is at its virtually all inviting. But not just are fires a imminent danger, space heaters are often used to heat rooms that want an spare boost;mn home watch

27. bugscontrol says:

Remember when you are suffering losing trades, something moved wrong around. It might be advisable to be sure the particulars and look at your mistakes accompanied by a cool start. This will help you plan most certainly. When you're confident of your slipups, you cannot repeat typically the.native business

28. bugscontrol says:

Locking typically the computer which means others simply cannot access your computer data? Bypassing replacement windows passwords only takes a minute and / or less and then the windows 10 application disk. To date, I are generally successful in together with the Windows 10 dvd to get away from account passwordskang dazg

29. bugscontrol says:

Residential tutoring demands the dispatch from a qualified not to mention highly veteran tutor for a client without having to drive or happen to be anywhere. There's nothing required for everybody children and / or studentsdistributed health

30. bugscontrol says:

Considerably more than simply have to deal with home invasion I do in no way care and attention or perhaps a burglars need undergone through low income, sourced from unfortunate position and / or are actually destitute. Virtually all I've met might be who they don't really need any sort of best suited anything towards interfere with your residential. Not your usa.ahouse formy home