Consumerization of business is by far my favorite new tagline. It’s also known as “Consumerization of Enterprise” but screw that, it’s bigger then that. It’s all business.
It’s a new buzz phrase thats caught on but Jason Fried from 37signals was talking about this wayyyy back in 2007. I personally remember hearing Jason talk about this at 2007 SXSW “we do extremely well in small departments inside of large enterprise”.
What this buzzy tagline is formalizing:
– new products becoming indistinguishable from enterprise apps
– reduction of large gatekeepers in the enterprise
– going directly to end users in companies
– consumer’ish startup price points
– self service FTW
– end of the IT department
– very low signup friction (google app integrations, etc)
– one hell of a marketing/customer penetration strategy for growth companies