Today, I was on Pandora listening to some music, to find yet another LivingSocial ad.
Yet Another Livingsocial Ad

This really got me to reflect on last 5-10 years…

Google, Flickr, Facebook and Twitter never advertised early in the growth of their success.

They won peoples heart by offering such a unique offering that they didn’t need consumer advertising. I put my 2005 hat on, and I remember at the conferences when advertising for consumer services was frowned upon as you should be able to capture users based on the quality of your product alone. Also, “the right type of people” (early adopters) signup when you are not advertising and feel more committed to the product.

It’s not only LivingSocial, new growth consumer companies have demonstrated more aggressive paid marketing levels including scvngr, Zynga, and GroupOn.

You can’t watch the superbowl or navigate an iPhone app without seeing an ad for these companies.

Is the cool “don’t need to advertise” attitude gone?
If so, what was the tipping point?
Did GroupOn 6B valuation change peoples psyche on this?
Have we reached hypercompetitive level for time to mass market that this is now required?
Is this acceleration a long-term trend or a short-term fad?

Not sure I have the answer but one thing has changed… Advertising is more accepted for consumer growth internet companies then it was a year or two ago.

19 Responses to Changes in Advertising Psyche for Consumer Services

1. Interesting observation. I wonder if this is reflective of marketing budgets growing, or of these companies being more consumer focused – needing to reach more "normals" than "early adopters"? I think it's just a different climate – more fertilizer to throw on the garden – in hopes it all grows faster.

• sandieman says:

"Normal" vs. "Early Adopter" is an interesting paradigm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_the_Chasm – old school way of thinking about it.

Funny thing is when you hear GroupOn talk about this, they mention that advertising drives people to create the initial momentum to get a real community of adopters. Early adopters now reachable via advertising? Early adopters bigger part of our population?

2. lafseo says:

These benefits contain received baneful honors in the yesterday during part unscrupulous constitutions posed as caring conglomerates besides did petty another than pain the customers. In adduce lifetime, nevertheless, tighter statutes shape it easier to treasure a feasible CCCS alliance whereas worker is needed.
    canadian spouse sponsorship

3. selectgender says:

although i agree that more and more organisations are turning to advertising i think from a consumer perspective, we are being over loaded with too many adverts.

4. click it says:

high school. My tutor suggest me this reallyprofessionalessays.com for perfect one service provider for the student writing services.

5. click it says:

6. click it says:

.com for perfect one service provider for the student writing services.

7. click it says:

8. At our recent holiday party, Bryan (an awesome Viddler support wizard) caught some footage of Billy freestyling:

9. SteelTubes says:

The advertising landscape is really changing and evolving always. It is really important for companies to stay in pace with the trends. the amount expended on advertising really pays off well. A better response from advertising converts into better services from the service pipe fittings provider.

10. sanghvimpex says:

The article is very good, I like it very much…

ss slip on flanges

11. piyushpipes says:

Thanks for the info…. Will subscribe to your RSS….

Piyush Steel

12. Tutor guides says:

Your Post is really well and interesting thanks for sharing, i wish to visit your site again and again.

13. Bali_Web_Design says:

Thank you for your article, very nice..
    Bali Web Design

14. The scope of diversions accessible is debilitating. Also, recreations for all ages are accessible. There are activity amusements, arcade diversions, recreations in light of different sorts of games, tabletop games, streak recreations and some more.

15. These amusements are realistic to the point, that you will discover a greater number of energies in these recreations than the typical ones we play physically.

16. I am very happy that you have written such a good blog. I like it and i am going to bookmark it. Thanks.

Inconel 625 Pipe fittings