Here is the summary of my presentation for Entrepreneurship class in bulleted format (hopefully my plan to record this will work and can put up)
Public Facing Website
– Online Business Card
– Portfolio, About Us, and Objective
– If in doubt use white background
– Be Simple
– Come up with content then categorize
– Time is money. So donâ€™t waste it!
– Content, Content, Content.
– Lehigh has a guide for using 3rd party applications and setting up AFS space
Internal Entrepreneurship/PM Tools
WikiWakka – Add with double click
– Newsfeed Support
phpBB â€“ used before, great way to record if attaching documents
– Supports popular database servers
– Unlimited forums and posts
– Multiple language interface
– Private or public forums
– Powerful search utility
– PrivaSte messaging system
BaseCampHQ â€“ Great for Project Management Outside Group
Other Free Project Management Tools
– Many More
Viral Public Facing Websites
– Informal method of talking to your customer
– Adding Content is easy for all group members.
– WordPress is personal favorite
That’s great, but What do I do?
Based on your skill set and needs here are a few of my suggestions.
No Technology Needed:
Setup HTML site with AFS Space and tutorial.
Buy a domain name at GoDaddy if serious
You know how to upload to FTP
Cheap and Unreliable PHP Hosting = $60 a year = $12 a member for the semester
Website & Project Management Software
At the End of the Day
Itâ€™s about getting it done. Too much management at an early stage can be a bad thing. These are my best practices and have changed at least once a semester. The important thing is to be efficient and to use them as a team.
Other Good Resources:
Entrepreneurs Guide to Software.
LifeHacker.com’s Web Publishing Tips
Paul Graham â€“ How to start a startup â€“ for technical companies
Website Best Practices
Godaddy Website â€“ inexpensive hosting